However, there are some ways to address this lack. You can do it through an Android smartphone or tablet or even from your PC or Mac. There are three methods to transmit from Kodi to Chromecast, so let's see them so you can follow the one you like the most.
Option 1. Use an Android device on which Kodi will run
This is the best method to stream from Kodi to Chromecast , as it will not consume too much battery from your Android device. Using this method, unlike the other methods we will see below, videos are played on Chromecast even when the device is locked . In addition, the video that you will see on the TV to which you have Chromecast connected will be seen perfectly, without any delay in the audio. To achieve this, you must follow these steps:
1. First, you will have to install some applications on your Android device: Kodi , LocalCast and any file explorer that allows you to view hidden files, such as ES File Explorer File Manager.
2. After installing all these applications, download this .xml file ( PlayerFactoryCore.xml ). Once the file is downloaded, open the file browser and enable the option to browse hidden files . For example, in ES File Explorer, you must go to the main menu and select "Settings" . In "Screen settings" , you must activate the option "Show hidden files" .
3. Next, go to the "Downloads" folder and look for the PlayerFactoryCorexml file that you have previously downloaded. Copy the file and paste it in the following directory: Android-> Data-> org.xbmc.kodi-> files -> .Kodi-> userdata .
4. Once you have copied the file, open Kodi and play any video. If you have more applications similar to LocalCast installed, Android will ask you to choose an application; select LocalCast . If you only have this application installed, the selected video will be automatically loaded.
5. Next, select your Chromecast device and then click on "Play" . The Kodi video should be played on the TV to which you have Chromecast connected. To add more videos to the playlist, you can use the "Add to the queue" option.
Now you can minimize the LocalCast application and block your Android device while playing the video on Chromecast.
Option 2. Use the Chromecast application on your Android device
Another very simple method to stream from Kodi to Chromecast is to make use of the "Send screen" feature of the Google Cast app on your Android smartphone. You must follow these steps:
1. You must install both Kodi and the Google Cast app on your Android device.
2. Open the Google Cast app and click on the top left menu icon. Here, click on the " Send screen / audio" option. Then, you may get a message saying something like "The send screen function is not optimized for this device; Your experience may vary . " Ignore the message and select "OK" .
3. Next, the application will search for existing Chromecast devices . Select your Chromecast device and the device interface will be displayed on the TV connected to Chromecast.
4. Now, open Kodi and play any video. Then the video should start playing on both your Android device and your TV.
This method works and allows you to stream from Kodi to Chromecast, but it is not really feasible if you consider that you will not be able to block your phone, make calls or any other task while playing the video. For the rest, the video playback has a good performance on your phone, but the transmission to Chromecast is quite slow . If you can, go for the first method.
Option 3: Use the Chromecast application on PC or Mac
This method is similar to the previous method, since you can use the Google Cast extension in Chrome to mirror your PC screen to a TV or screen that has a Chromecast device connected. Let's see how to stream from Kodi to Chromecast through a PC:
1. Install the Kodi client on your PC or Mac. Be sure to install Chrome along with the Google Cast extension. If you are a Windows user, you may have to install the Chromecast configuration client if you connect to Chromecast for the first time.
2. Next, start Chrome and click on the Google Cast extension. You should see an option that says something like "Cast to ..." . You will also see a small drop-down button that you have to click on. In the menu, select the option "Select source" .
3. You can select between a tab or the desktop. Select "Cast desktop . "
4. Now, open Kodi and play any video. It should be seen both on your PC and on the TV to which you have Chromecast connected.
Like the previous method, you will have to keep the Kodi client running and in the foreground . In addition, you can not turn off or block your PC or Mac. Therefore, unless you are not going to use your PC, it is not the best method, but it works.
What to do if the sound is not reproduced?
In case the audio does not play, you may have to make an additional adjustment in Chrome. You must deactivate a Flag To do this, you must go to the URL "chrome: // flags /" (copy and paste the address as is). Once you are in the options panel, find and disable the option "# disable-audio-support-for-desktop-share" .
To save work, press CONTROL + F to search for the Flag directly. If the option was activated, you must disable it and the sound should already be played.
You have everything set: Finishing
All the above methods work, but we recommend the first method because the playback is the most perfect and, in addition, you can perform various tasks on your Android phone while watching the video.